A Study in Pink… and Resin

As Staci has previously explained, we were able to get together this weekend and work on some jewelry making for the upcoming sale. I warmed up with a reproduction of my copper floral filagree earrings so I could better practice making better headpins for connecting the fillagree to the eyepin and the eyepin to the earring hooks. Also because I am in love with the aesthetic and if I don’t make multiples, I’m not sure I’ll be able to part with the originals. My very favorite, and now New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger, once explained that she wrote her rightfully popular teapunk comedy of manners because it was the material she wanted to read.  Really hoping this philosophy works out for me as I also made a pendant with one of one of the silver floral filagrees which may be marketed as part of a set.

Pink Bengal Bauble

I definitely overworked myself with this next pair of earrings. I tell you, the skill it took to string those three beats on a single head pin and attach to earring hooks is unprecedented. A girl could definitely get used to being so pleased with oneself for so little effort 😉 In all seriousness, I do like the simplicity of this set even if I am not sure I can claim much craftsmanship in its creation.

Finally, Staci and I broke out the big guns. Earlier that day, we had made a trip to Michael’s and fought tooth and nail with shopping savages to procure a small amount of a precious 1:1 resin mix, pried from the very jaws of the beast.  Or maybe I stood directly in front of the resin options for less than ten seconds and watched helplessly as resin buzzards swooped in to claim the final bottles of what I was considering buying before I could even examine them. I can’t say for certain, but I may even have made a frustrated retreat over to the yarn aisles muttering something like “knitters are nicer.” After selecting my fibers, Staci came to the rescue with an even smaller more affordable option than those that had been picked off by the carrion eaters. Go Staci!

Knowing that the end of our unadulterated craft time was drawing to an end (Warhammer game had ended), we impulsively began assembling the resin necessities. From reading the instructions it didn’t seem to get any easier than

Staci's Pendant

Staci's swarovski crystal and seed bead resin pendant

mixing two reagents at a 1:1 ratio. The difficulties sprang from handling caustic materials on the fly (read: without gloves) and not considering how much to make. The smallest disposable measuring cup in my cabinet was a 1/8 cup that I never use.  It didn’t really occur to me that we didn’t have any molds prepared or plans beyond the two tablespoons or so we would actually need for the pendants. So now I have a fair sized block of bowl shaped resin. Let me know if you have suggestions there.

It was really exciting that our pendants dried overnight. This is another piece that I’m going to have a hard time parting with. However, I can’t wait to make more. Next time I will plan a resin pouring party in which we make up lots of pendants, molds, or other casts ahead of time and do a mass pour. This will be much more sensible. Also, I would like to experiment with coloring the resin with a variety of pigments. I have read that you can use anything from old eye shadows to acrylic paint. Stay tuned for further adventures with gears and resin!

Sara's Pendant

Resin was made for Steampunk